Ms. Jasmine Pierce: Reporting for Duty as Lieutenant Uhura

Since some folks might have missed the news, in addition to recasting the role of Captain Kirk for our just-completed “Bread and Savagery” shoot, we also needed to recast the role of Lieutenant Uhura. (For those keeping score at home, this will indeed be our third actress in the Uhura role, having started with Ms. Julienne Irons and then Ms. Kim Stinger.)

Now inheriting the role of Lieutenant Uhura on Star Trek Phase II is Ms. Jasmine Pierce.

Ms. Jasmine Pierce: Star Trek Phase II's New Uhura

Jasmine Pierce lives in New York City and has a BFA with honors in Theatre from New York University.  Her training studio was The Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute where she worked in both film and theatre.  She began acting at the School for Creative and Performing Arts in Cincinnati, Ohio when she was nine-years-old.  She spent nearly a decade as a Drama Major at SCPA, and performed in many productions including Harvey, School House Rock, Medea, and many more.  She was a member and the President of the school’s elite Drama Ensemble and Secretary/Treasurer of the International Thespian Troupe.

Jasmine is currently exploring comedy as both a stand-up comic and improvisational/sketch performer.  Additionally, she is a SAG-AFTRA member.

You can find Jasmines’ web site at:

Here’s a shot of Senior Executive Producer and Costumer James Cawley fitting Jasmine into her new Lieutenant Uhura costume.

Costume Fitting for Ms. Jasmine Pierce

It’s no secret that in addition to shooting the episode “Blood and Savagery” (a sequel to “Bread and Circuses”), we had time to squeeze in shooting a short vignette–called “Going Boldly.” Here’s a shot of Lieutenant Uhura listening to an emotional Saint Crispin’s Day-style speech by Captain Kirk in the ship’s Reception Room:

Jasmine Pierce as Uhura ("Going Boldly")

As a related issue, to help bring Jasmine up to speed on the Uhura character she would be portraying, we put together and provided to Jasmine a short reel of some key Uhura scenes from The Original Series.  (Thanks to Jaime Sanchez for doing the heavy lifting on this little project.)  We included those qualities we’d like to see emphasized in Jasmine’s portrayal of the character and, of course, we didn’t include those scenes with Uhura that demonstrate those qualities we’d like to de-emphasize (notably, the “Damsel in Distress” qualities).  We invite you to take a peek at the short reel of Uhura TOS scenes that we cobbled together.  (It’s about fifteen minutes long.)  What should we have included that we didn’t?

Find the reel on YouTube:

Author Greg Schnitzer

Gregory L. Schnitzer is Co-Executive Producer on the fan-based Internet series Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II (formerly known as Star Trek New Voyages). Greg is a Registered Nurse and is often in charge of Emergency Medical Services at the Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II shoots. He is also the production's Property Master and on-again, off-again Set Decorator. Born and raised in Los Angeles (which he still calls "home"), in real life, Greg is a Registered Nurse, currently working in Health Information Management at a variety of medical facilities in the greater metropolitan Washington, D.C., area. Find Greg's page on the IMDB at: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883

More posts by Greg Schnitzer

Join the discussion 11 Comments

• Lewis F. LaHaise says:

I approve, but as a Trekkie, I’d probably watch even if you did not cast a really cute actress as Uhura!

• Asragin says:

Nice, she pretty much looks like Uhura, albeit a bit too Caucasian-y light.

• Rich J. Witlshaw says:

I think maybe some of how she was portrayed in some of the TAS episodes might have been useful. Like “The Lorelei Signal”, where she takes Command of the Enterprise, or once upon a Planet. Uhura is more than just the series “Damsel”, lets see more of her in those sorts of roles. Also, I’d like to see more Scotty… but thats besides the point

• Norm says:

I always wondered why the mind wipe took away Uhuras’ English and other knowledge but left her able to speak Swahili.

• Rolando says:

I do miss Ms. Iron’s performance! I hope you showed Ms Pierce Uhura’s best line in the TV Show (responding to Sulu calling her “fair maiden”: “Sorry, neither!”

• I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would
    cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Here is my homepage; Personal Trainer

• deb says:

Okay, I just found all this phase 2 and I love it. Looks like incredible fun. I am watching all past episodes. Very well written too.

• Thomas says:

She looks great. As for some of the comments that she may not be dark enough, well, the contours of Nichelle Nichol’s face are definitely there, and as the bottom paragraph shows, makeup today would serve to portray the rich brown complexion that would easily enable her to pass as an African. The only suggestions I have are not to forget those sexy, catlike eyes with the long eyelashes and the shorter skirt to show off those beautiful thighs…yes, it’s obvious I fell in love with Nichelle Nichole’s character when TOS went into syndication and yearn to see Uhura to be more fully developed than she got the chance to in TOS, even beyond the scenes shown in the video. Bear in mind Nichelle Nichol’s story of when she was about to quit the show early on, and agreed to stay only Dr. Martin Luther King urged her not to: “you have the rare opportunity to portray our people as they should be seen.” Thank God for that man. Even as racism is still prevalent today, Uhura can still remain a symbol for racial harmony, and inspire both black and white, as she has inspired me. Use her.

• vimeo.com says:

Very energetic article, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

Stop by my blog post – vimeo.com